1954 MG TF 1500


1954 MG TF 1500

MG is a British automotive marque founded by Cecil Kimber in the 1920s, and M.G. Car Company Limited was the British sports car manufacturer that made the marque famous.

Best known for its open two-seater sports cars, MG also produced saloons and coupes, with engines up to three litres in size and 3.5 L in the case of the MGB GT V8.

MG cars had their roots in a 1920s sales promotion sideline of Morris Garages, a retail sales and service centre in Oxford belonging to William Morris. The business’s manager, Cecil Kimber, modified standard production Morris Oxfords and added MG Super Sports to the plate at the nose of the car.

MG underwent many changes in ownership over the years. Morris’s Nuttfield Organization merged with Austin to create the British Motor Corporation Limited (BMC) in 1952. Its activities were renamed MG Division of BMC in 1967, and so it was a component of the 1968 merger that created British Leyland Motor Corporation (BLMC).

Debate remains as to when MG car production started, although the first cars, rebodied Morris models that used coachwork from Carbodies of Coventry and known as “Kimber Specials”, bore both Morris and MG badges. Reference to MG with the octagon badge appears in an Oxford newspaper from November 1923, and the MG Octagon was registered as a trademark by Morris Garages on 1 May 1924.

In 1928, the company had become large enough to warrant an identity separate from the original Morris Garages, and The M.G. Car Company was used from March of that year. In October, for the first time, a stand was taken at the London Motor Show.

The MG T-Type is a series of body-on-frame open two-seater sports cars that were produced by MG from 1936 to 1955. The series included the MG TA, MG TB, MG TC, MG TD, and MG TF Midget models. The last of these models, the TF, was replaced by the MGA. Although the design was similar to contemporary cars of the 1930s, it came to be considered outdated by the 1950s.

The TF, launched on 15 October 1953, was a facelifted TD, fitted with the TD Mark II engine, headlights faired into the wings, a sloping radiator grille concealing a separate radiator, and a new pressurized cooling system along with a simulated external radiator cap.

In mid-1954 the engine capacity was increased by 17 per cent to 1466 cc and designated XPEG. The bore was increased to 72 mm (2.8 in) and compression raised to 8.3:1 giving 63 bhp (47 kW) at 5,000 rpm and a 17 per cent increase in torque. The car was designated TF1500.

Production ended at chassis number TF10100 on 4 April 1955 after 9,602 TFs had been manufactured, including two prototypes and 3,400 TF1500s. The TF was superseded by all new MGA.


Believed to be the original paint and trim, our MG TF1500 show great patina.

This is a genuine TF 1500 and so therefore considerably rare.

The owner has spent considerable money on the mechanicals of the car including a full engine rebuild, installing a Moss 5 speed gear box and recently refurbishing the brakes.

The drives, steers and stops perfectly and is a very spirited performer.

Perfect for the wind in your hair driving.

Comes with owners and workshop manuals.

This is great car for anyone that wants to go cruising on one weekend, and then off to the track on the next. This is the benefits of owning an MG!

We are extremely proud to offer this car through The Collectable Auction House.

Please contact us to arrange an inspection – you will not be disappointed!

Car is sold registered to January 2025, although it is an ideal car though, for Historic registration.