1929 Oldsmobile F-2 Landau

$30,000

Oldsmobile was a brand of automobile that was the oldest car manufacturer in the United States. It was founded by Ransom E. Olds in 1897 and closed by General Motors in 2004. In its 107-year history, it produced 35.2 million cars, including at least 14 million built at its Lansing, Michigan factory. When it was phased out in 2004, Oldsmobile was the oldest surviving American automobile marque, and one of the oldest in the world, after Daimler, Peugeot and Tatra. The closing of the Oldsmobile division foreshadowed a larger consolidation of GM brands and discontinuation of models during the company’s 2009 bankruptcy reorganization. 

Oldsmobile’s were first manufactured by the Olds Motor Works in Lansing, Michigan. In 1901, the company produced 425 cars, making it the first high-volume gasoline-powered automobile manufacturer. Oldsmobile became the top selling car company in the United States for a few years. They had a reputation for quality, reliability and low price. Ransom Olds left the company 1904 and formed the REO Motor Car Company and died in Lansing Michigan in 1950 aged 86.

In 1929 Oldsmobile released six body styles and two trim levels, Special and Deluxe. The body styles included a two-door Sedan, a Landau, a four-door Sedan, a Sport Coupe, a Phaeton, a Roadster. Special models included, as additional equipment, two extra tyres and tubes on rims mounted and locked in front fender wells; chromium-plated bumpers front and rear, and folding trunk platform. Deluxe models included, as additional equipment, six wire wheels, with two extra tyres and tubes mounted and locked with wheels in front fender wells; chromium-plated bumpers front and rear; chromium-plated headlamps, and folding trunk platform.

Oldsmobile prices in 1929 were approximately the price of an average monthly wage!

OUR CAR

Our Oldsmobile started life at the Lansing Michigan factory as a chassis (chassis with wheels, engine, transmission, front and rear axles, brake, and steering), in 1929. The engine that was in the car carried the number FR5271 which is the same engine in the car today.

In 1929, 2,797 chassis were made to be shipped to various countries, and in our case Australia, ready to be completed into a running car.

Our chassis was shipped to Holden’s Motor Body Builders Ltd in Adelaide South Australia. Yes, the same company that morphed into the General Motors Holden brand that we know so well and love!

By reference to the body plate, it is Body number 365, Model number OLDS, Series sedan, and Job number 3735.

In South Australia it was first registered as SA 327286 which is still shown on the inside top of the luggage box.

At some point it was sold into Western Australia, discarded, and then spent its life in the rural paddocks in Raventhorpe WA.

Barry Woodley of Meckering and later Kalgoolie, recovered its remains in the early 1970’s where he started work on restoring the chassis and running gear.

In 1993 the car was sold to William G Smith of Pinjarra in a partially restored condition. Mr Smith finished the restoration to basically the condition it is displayed now.

In December 2008 the car was purchased by the current owners and used is in rallies.

An interestingly fact that in 2009 the current owners decided to add leather luggage straps to the luggage box. The straps were originally issued to the British Army Officers as retaining straps around their bedding rolls while stationed in India during the Second World War. The straps were a gift from one of the current owner’s family members.

The car is excellent condition and would be a great club / rally car.

Please contact us to arrange an inspection – you will not be disappointed!

Car is sold unregistered.